Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Nina Alagao Apologizes

A few hours after Nina Ricci Alagao (a former Miss Universe Philippines representative) tweeted her thoughts about how Toni Gonzaga handled the Q & A portion of the Binibining Pilipinas 2015 pageant, bashes were redirected from Gonzaga to her.

The classy, and still  statuesque Alagao immediately did what needs to be done to avoid things go more out of proportion. She tweeted an apology to Gonzaga's fans and raised some points to correct the wrong impression set.

For the benefit of those who were out or Alagao's circle or followers -- as she temporarily took down her Twitter account -- here's the apology she tweeted (and I lifted) from her Twitter account prior to the take-down.

I apologize.

If it will appease her fans, then I apologize, but not without pointing a few things. Just because I said what I said in my previous post it does not necessarily mean I am not also a fan of hers. I admire her confidence and determination. I have seen all her movies, been moved to tears and burst with  laughter with her acts, and will continue to do so in the future. That does not also mean I did not defend her in the past when people spoke ill of her. And best of all, I admire her for having stayed chaste in a world where it is easy to be weak and stop adhering to such virtues. When one points out a person's mistake, that does not say anything about whether he or she hates the person. When a mother scold or reprimands her children it does not mean she loves them any less.


On bringing back the past, I find nothing wrong in looking back and seeing how much better life has become. It is a constant reminder that we should aspire to improve ourselves everyday and with every experience. My friends know I have nothing against self-improvement of any kind, whether in attitude or appearance, if it boosts a person's self-esteem. Going under the knife is something I have yet to explore, and will not judge those who have done it. I believe it to be a powerful tool in making people's lives better. So if I may have mentioned anything that I don't suppose is a secret, know that it was not meant to humiliate. It was simply to state that we should allow people room to get better. 


I also did not say she was NOT a good host, nor did I say I did not find her antics funny. As a matter of fact, I did, although we should apply humor where appropriate. I commend her for her effort to lift the candidates' spirits and ease their tension with her jokes, but I wish they were more carefully chosen.


Vice Ganda earned my respect when he delivers his question in a manner appropriate for a Bb. Pilipinas judge, quite contrary to how he would normally handle such circumstances, what with his bully humor and perky personality. Indeed it was a class act.


People will love us hate us for what we do or say, and for how they interpret the things we do or say. I had my time of criticism in 2000: I looked like a horse; won for being smart not beautiful; didn't look anything like a beauty queen..it's endless. But I was gracious in accepting all those criticisms, and used them for my betterment.


This is not about fame or power, nor is it about the person in general, please do not get the matter out of perspective. I am not nearly as well-loved by fans as her (and that is true now more than ever) and definitely haven't gained half her fame, but that is not the whole point of my previous statement. 


So again I apologize once and for all, and wish we'd all be open-minded about this. I did NOT criticize her, nor her performance last night in general. It was specifically the Q & A I tackled, and my intention was not how many of you have interpreted it.


Pageant fans may at one point say that Alagao's luster may have faded fifteen (15) years after she failed to place in the Miss Universe 2000 pageant. On a personal note, the way she handled the issue with the above statement shows that Nina Ricci Alagao really got class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...